Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Should sign language be taught as a foreign language course?

In high school, Spanish and French are examples of foreign language courses. Should sign language also be taught too?



Definitely. I mean, it's a language that one doesn't normally speak, making it foreign. I have a friend who is fluent in English and sign language and is considered bilingual.




Well, not really. I think that it would be a good idea to offer it in schools, but it's not really a foreign language, since it is another medium for the English language. Therefore, it is not foreign by definition of the word. However, I do think it could be offered as a language course by itself, but I don't think it should count for foreign lanugage credit.




I think that it should. I mean, sign language is probably more useful than say, French or German. It should definitely count for a foreign language.

No comments:

Post a Comment