Tuesday, March 24, 2009

IS IT HARD TO DOUBLE MAJOR? DOES IT COST MORE IN YOUR TUITION????? OR WILL I STILL PAY THE SAME SUCH AS 9,000 IN UCLA???



I double majored and graduated in 4 years from a prestigious school. It is not hard and shouldn't cost you more. Instead of taking one or two classes that "interest" you or "just for the hell of it" you need to be taking classes in both of your majors every term. It makes it nice though if you are actually interested in both of your majors because it prevents you from taking some mistake of a class you can't stand - instead you are interested in all of your classes every day.




The easiest way to double major is to get college credit for your AP classes in high school. You usually need to get scores of at least 3 on your AP exams to get college credit (some schools only give credit for 4s and 5s). Not all schools give credit for AP courses (the Ivy League schools don't), but many state universities will give you college credit and allow you to skip the basic entry level courses in some subjects. That allows you to move on to the courses required for your majors.




If you have to take more classes to complete both majors, then yes, it will cost more. I am a double major... it's difficult because I have had to plan my semesters out ahead of time to be sure I complete both on time, but I have two more semesters left and I'm done with one completely and 15 credits (3 classes) away from finishing the other.




My daughter did a double major. It still took 4 years and cost us the same. However, it meant she could party on Saturday nights as she was too busy working on the other nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment