Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Question about the GRE verbal section?

about 95% of the words in the GRE study books I%26#039;ve never even heard of! My biggest fear is that I%26#039;m going to spend all this time to memorize the definitions for all thse words, and then get to the exam and find that none of them were on it! So my question is, are the words found in these so-called study/prep books really going to appear on the actual GRE test? Is there another way to learn new words that may appear on the test?



Oh, yes, they will actually appear on the test - and what%26#039;s better, is that 50% will appear on the test, while the other 50% will be brand new and just as incomprehensible and unknown to you as the others. You need to focus on studying the roots of words - I don%26#039;t know which book you%26#039;re using, but buy a book that is specifically for the verbal section and that focuses on the Latin roots and meanings of each specific word. You need to know how to look at a word and tear it apart to find out its definitions. I found the Kaplan GRE Verbal Workbook to help me out a ton. I actually did really well on the quantitative section - when I%26#039;ve always been horrible at math - in comparison the verbal (my undergraduate major was political science and European history - i.e., lots of writing and verbal attention!) and it made no sense at all. Honestly, it%26#039;s tedious and almost entirely useless (I%26#039;ve been in graduate school for almost a year now and I have yet to actually use anything that I learned and/or tested on the GRE), but you need it to get into the graduate schools of your choice so hunker down and get ready to spend hundreds on books!





Good luck!


%0D%0A

No comments:

Post a Comment